Friday 12 May - Premier Division Final

The Welsh National League Premier Division League final produced a record crowd for the showdown between Cefn Albion and FC Nomads with attendance recorded in excess of 600 people.

A nervous start from Cefn was punished by Nomads who took a deserved 1-0 lead through Lee Reynolds. Nomads applied even more pressure and should have gone 2-0 up only got a fine save from the excellent Harry Thomas. This seemed to give Albion the wake up call they needed and they started to ask questions of their own. After 30 minutes a pin point ball from Jamie Foulkes found Craig Roberts wide right who produced an excellent cross to find leading scorer Oli Davies who smashed in the equaliser to send the large contingent of Albion fans wild. It was games on as the Albion chants rung out loud and proud from the stands.

As the second half began the rain began to fall heavily. The game was fairly even but just after the hour mark was a real game changer when Alex Williams burst clear only to be professionally fouled by Nomads Josh Keir who was already on a yellow card. The referee took out his red card and sent Keir off for an early bath. With the numerical advantage the Albion began to dictate passing from the back but the Nomads always posed a threat coming forward. A long punt forward by the Nomads keeper was not dealt with by the Albion back line and they took a surprise 2-1 lead with around 20 minutes to play through Dan Drazdauskas. Despite falling behind for the second time in the game, Albion didn't panic and the introduction of 17 year old Kien Morris proved to be a game changer. The youngsters pace and power was causing havoc to the Nomads back line and it was Morris who grabbed the equaliser with a fine finish from another Craig Roberts assist. 2-2.

With the numerical advantage and Nomads legs tiring it was Albion who were now searching for the winner. Ten minutes from time it was Alex Williams who was to deliver a blow to break Nomads hearts. A Kien Morris assist allowed Williams to poke home the goal to put the Albion 3-2 up and ahead in the game for the first time. With just under 10 minutes remaining Alex Williams grabbed his second of the night to ensure that there would be no tense finale. Albion chants rung loud from the stands as the underdogs Cefn pulled off a cup shock against last year's league champions.

Cefn skipper and club spokesman Paul Griffith said “Partying went on late into the night with jubilant players, management, committee and supporters celebrating our 6th trophy in just three seasons. What a tremendous achievement by everyone involved, a result that will certainly silence one or two doubters way may have had. As always we would like to thank our excellent supporters who showed up in their droves and backed the team for the 90 minutes. We would also like to thank Cefn Druids for their excellent hospitality.”

Saturday 6 May

A huge crowd witnessed an epic Reserves Division Cup Final at Penycae’s ground between Chirk AAA’s and current holders Ruthin Town. It looked as if Chirk were going to win in a canter when the prolific Shaun Morris added a brace to his 34 goal tally he had already achieved this season to give Chirk a 2-0 lead. He netted on 15 and 20 minutes with Tom Roberts being the creator of both goals. When David Finnie fluffed a penalty opportunity it looked as if it wasn’t going to be Ruthin’s day but thankfully Jordan McCarter was on hand to turn in the rebound. It really was game on the hour mark when Matty Williams levelled following a Finnie corner which set up a dramatic ending with Ruthin grabbing the winner 10 minutes from time through Connor Lloyd.

In the days one and only other game, Queens Park Reserves forged out a 2-0 lead though Charlie Jones and Adam Roberts but visitors Saltney hit back for a 2-2 draw.

Saturday 29 April

The key action at the weekend was in the Reserves and Colts league and Flint retained the Trophy but were pushed all the way by Buckley and they eventually won in a sudden death penalty shootout.

Buckley created the first chance of the game after 8 minutes but Flint keeper Ollie Howarth pulled off a great one handed save. Then, a couple of minutes later, following a corner, Flint had an opportunity to take the lead, but the ball was hacked clear from the line in the nick of time. Buckley goalie Dale Sylvester was called into action on 22 minutes when a Niall Dawson flick set up Lee Beck, but his effort was brilliantly kept out with a fine reaction save. As the half wore on Buckley gained the ascendency and Flint were guilty of committing too many niggly fouls, with both Beck and Ian Taylor entering the referees notebook in quick succession.

On the stroke of half time, Buckley went ahead when a cross field diagonal ball from wide on the right found Dan Jones in far too much space from a Flint point of view, and he produced a composed finish to shoot back across the goal and into the corner of the net. The introduction of Nathan Mendoza from the bench in the second half proved to be a vital turning point for Flint, as he injected some much needed zip and pace into the Silkmen's attack. Indeed, he was instrumental in the equaliser on 70 minutes, as both he and Connor Turner combined to cause panic amongst the Buckley defence. The persistence of the Flint attackers paid dividends, as Turner eventually forced the ball over the line following a scramble.

Having got back on level terms, Flint were now playing the most fluent football, and looked the most likely team to win it, that is, until they were reduced to 10 men. Skipper Lee Beck, needlessly followed through and barged into Sylvester, when the keeper clearly had claimed the ball and had it under control. He left the referee with little alternative other than to brandish a second yellow card and send him off. Flint then adopted a more defensive approach, and looked to feed Mendoza on the break, who was always a threat going forward. They safely negotiated the remainder of normal time and extra time, to take the game to penalties.

Flint's excellent record in penalty shootouts this season continued as the Silkmen converted all their spot kicks, including the first two sudden death penalties. Buckley's seventh penalty struck the Flint post, to hand the trophy to the Silkmen, meaning they have not only completed the double but have successfully gone through the whole season unbeaten, a remarkable feat.

Turning to the Premier Division, a backlog of fixtures is wreaking havoc for Hawarden Rangers who were forced to field a scratch side against Corwen who won 1-0 courtesy of a Scott Evans free-kick.

The Llanuwchllyn clash with FC Nomads turned out to be a ten goal thriller and what a remarkable game that was with the referee Mr Martin Williams dismissing 3 Nomads players Mitch Williams, Jake Leonard and Ben Howarth. Nomads were leading 5-3 at that stage with strikes from Jamie Wynne, Danny Wynne(2), Keiron Moore and Jake Leonard so the dismissals cost them dearly.

In the Reserves Division, Reserves Division, the 2-1 success achieved by Cefn Druids at Holywell Town saw them become champions and this relegates Gresford Athletic into second spot after pacesetting all season. The Wellmen could well have turned out party poopers. They missed a wide open goal in injury time which would have meant Gresford would have taken the top honours. As for the game itself, Ashley Rowan and James Hill got the all important goals for Druids after Ashley Davies had provided an 86th minute response for the hosts. Manager Shaun Colley and his background staff deserve much praise for nurturing such a young side with an average age of just 18.

It looks as if Brymbo might still be relegated despite clinching a 2-1 verdict at Corwen who had the best of the early exchanges and netted through Osian Morris. Brymbo took all three points in the end hitting back through Levi Coleman and Charlie Roberts who grabbed the winner deep into stoppage time.

FC Nomads were pipped 2-1 by Ruthin Town who had goals from Tom Davies and Tom Dyer cancelled out by Jay Crowther.

The three points Castell Alun secured at Saltney could well turn out to have saved their bacon as far as relegation goes, Joe Henry and a clever lob from Tom Adams earned them the victory with Warren Kelly replying.